Friday, April 25, 2008

Day Eight

Well, a week has come and gone. And I want to thank all of you who commented. It really is nice to know that there are people out there like me, and it helps to keep me accountable. Anyway, last night I had my first craving. I only work Monday-Thursday, so Thursday night is really like a Friday night for me. And since I don't have to get up at 530 for PT, I really felt like having a drink, but I quickly quashed that desire and just popped in a movie and had a couple brownies and a cold glass of milk. Then I went to bed around 11, probably the earliest I have gone to bed on a Thursday in a long time, and when I woke up this morning I felt great.

So, I am off to my first AA meeting at noon, I still am a little nervous, but I'll get over it. On another note. I really enjoy working out. I go to the gym almost everyday, but I have always been a little overweight, and I never understood why I couldn't seem to get rid of my belly and small spare tire. So, I thought that if I switched to vodka and diet 7up then I am drinking almost zero calories. Never mind the fact that I was drinking half a bottle of vodka at one sitting, and converting all that alcohol into sugar. Just another way that I have been deluding myself. Then yesterday I got on the scale and I have lost nearly 10 pounds in just the last week, by only working out like I normally do, minus the alcohol. And just so you know, I work in the medical field as a laboratory technologist, so I tend to find changes to my body interesting. And, it might sound gross, but I have noticed that I am now having regular bowel movements and my stool is solid all the time, instead of every once in a while. Well after that little tidbit, it is time for me to hop in the shower and get ready to go. I live at a remote base so it is about an hour drive to the closest meeting, then I am off to spend the weekend with the girl that I am dating. So, I will let you know how my meeting went on Sunday. I hope anyone who reads this has a great and sober weekend. Take Care.

8 comments:

Syd said...

I found you through Mary Christine and Dave. Good for you that you are on Day Eight. Hang in there--you're where you need to be.

Mary Christine said...

I hope you liked the meeting and that you have a sober weekend. I will look forward to hearing more from you!

Zanejabbers said...

Hey SAS. Good for you. Hope your meeting went well and have a great weekend with your girlfriend. Will check back with you on day 10.

Scott M. Frey said...

hey there, welcome to AA, to recovery, to the blogoshpere...

I wish you well, I thank you so much for your service to our country and I will be stopping by, praying for you and hoping you're well!

Take care!

Bill said...

Hello! I zipped over from Mary Christine's blog. I've enjoyed reading all of your posts. I hope your first AA meeting went well.

I've been sober a year, and life is so much better now. Some days are better than others, but every single day has been better than my last days of drinking. If you hit a rough patch, it will pass. The disease of alcoholism will try to trick you into thinking that life is easier with a drink, so don't be surprised when that happens.

Mainly, just relax and have fun! Overall, you will continue to sleep better, become more physically fit, and take joy in the everyday wonders of life.
I was asked to read the Promises at my first AA meeting, and they seemed unattainable. You will see every single one happen for you if you work the steps. That's a promise!

Thanks for writing about your experiences. Be well, and have a good weekend.

Trailboss said...

One day at a time. There is nothing like waking up and feeling great.

dAAve said...

Thanks for sharing.
LOL

Kathy Lynne said...

Hi and Welcome! I found you at Mary Christine's. See what posting one comment can bring! I'm just over 10 months sober and can really identify with what you have written so far so thank you for sharing. I noticed the same thing about my stool when I first got sober but I didn't have the guts to write about it but its true. Wish I had lost 10lbs though.

I hope your first meeting went well. I remember when I finally went to my first meeting I had such a feeling of relief..that there were people out there that felt as I did and willing to help me. Hope you got a Big Book too. That's the book of Alcoholics Annonymous. Read the first 164 pages and see if you don't find yourself there. Welcome and good job on 8 days!!