Sunday, April 27, 2008

Day 10

Well, it is now day 10 and I feel great. I just want to thank everybody again who commented, you all have no idea how much it means to me.

So, I went to my first AA meeting on Friday, and it was a really good experience. I had no reason to be nervous. It was a noon meeting so there were only 10 of us all together, and all of them were really nice. And it's funny because my notion of an alcoholic was completely different from what I saw. There were a eclectic mix of people. Proving that you just never know. A few of them kind of told their stories, they didn't really go into details, but they said enough to let me know just how much AA has changed their life. A couple of people offered to be my sponsor, and I actually called one of them an hour after the meeting and he suggested that we meet. So, he met me at the mall that I was at, and for the first time I actually talked about everything with somebody face to face. And it felt really good. Then I went off and enjoyed the rest of the weekend, and didn't even think about drinking.

Well, I hope everybody out there had a great weekend as well, and I look forward to my next meeting, and staying sober.

7 comments:

Mary Christine said...

So glad to hear you liked your first meeting, that you connected with a man, and that you spent the weekend sober! Great stuff!

ms. fits chicago said...

Early sobriety is certainly a time when many, many things can surprise you. Thanks for blogging about your journey. It reminds me of where I was not too long ago myself.

dAAve said...

You are beginning an experience that you'll never forget. Nor regret.
Keep coming back!

Kathy Lynne said...

And that's exactly how it works! Awesome, thanks for sharing and keep coming!

Anonymous said...

I'm just past a month and am finding 12-step meetings essential. I've felt so much better without drinking and I'm surprised by how much I like AA.
Be well! http://firstwhitechip.blogspot.com/

Bill said...

You are right, the sharing of stories, yours and others, is powerful. AA was started by one drunk helping another, it's as simple as that.

I'm glad you had a great weekend! I did, too; I went to the zoo in DC and looked at all the animals (both inside the pens, and the ones outside looking in like me).

Zanejabbers said...

Good for you. Keep coming back.