Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Day Six

I have completed yet another day of not drinking. I haven't had the cravings yet, but that could just be because it is still so soon after my DUI. Although, I just realized that this is probably the longest that I have gone without a drink since I went to Afghanistan over a year ago. But that is a story for another time. I also haven't had a cigarette since either. I am now sleeping through the night with no problem, the first few nights were really rough. I am also dreaming again, which is something that I don't remember doing when I would drink before bed. I used to think that a bottle of wine was just my form of Ambien. The first couple of days after the event I was so stressed about what was going to happen to me that I could hardly sleep at all. But then I realized that whatever the Army does to me couldn't compare to the destructive force that is alcohol and the potential that it has to destroy me.

It is an odd feeling to be completely disgusted with oneself, and yet totally overjoyed with the fact that you have finally admitted to yourself who you truly are. For the first time since I was a kid I feel alive and full of hope at what my life can be. Alcohol has devoured the last 13 years of my life and I refuse to let it have anymore!!

So now I am 30 years old and I feel like my adult life is just beginning. Which is fine, because at least now I will remember everything!!

6 comments:

Zanejabbers said...

Welcome to the blogs of sobriety and of course AA. Lucky you making a committment at 30. I did mine at 50 and am 66 now. It's a much better world to live sober. Keep coming back. Keep us informed. We care.

Zanejabbers said...

PS. I saw your comment on One Sober Alcoholic. You can go to other blogs by clicking on the blue name of the blogger.

The Sober Alcoholic Soldier said...

Thank you. I wasn't sure if anyone had read my blog. I was really only doing it for myself. But it is really nice to know that people out there care.

Mary Christine said...

I am so thrilled to see your comment on my blog today. Do you mind if I include a link to yours on my blog tomorrow?

Welcome to sobriety. It sounds like you are in a really good place. Please go to an AA meeting. There is a whole world of sober people there. And it really is pretty wonderful.

kel said...

Congrats on your 6 days sober. There are alot of great AA and Al-anon people on here that are wonderful and supportive. Best of luck to you.

~kel

Mary Christine said...

I will include a link to yours tomorrow. Best wishes on 7 days!